Communication Specialist – National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Silver Spring, MD
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Integrated Ecosystem Assessments (IEA) are an approach to Ecosystem-Based Management. This approach integrates all components of an ecosystem, including humans, into the decision-making process so that managers can balance trade-offs and determine what is more likely to achieve their desired goals. The approach is a NOAA-wide initiative that provides a consistent national approach but is flexible to accommodate regional needs.
The IEA program, which directs the execution of Integrated Ecosystem Assessments in ocean and coastal ecosystems within five regions in the United States, is located in the NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service’s (NOAA Fisheries) Office of Science and Technology (OST) in Silver Spring, MD. OST provides the science behind how we manage sustainable fisheries, protected species, and healthy ecosystems. To do this, OST coordinates with six NOAA Fisheries science centers (Alaska, Northeast, Northwest, Pacific Islands, Southeast, and Southwest) to advocate for and ensure a sound scientific basis for NOAA Fisheries science programs, resource conservation and management decisions
Support is required to assist in the development of communication needs and information materials through appropriate protocols.
Specific tasks include:
- Craft high-quality communications products that enhance public, stakeholder, partner, and internal awareness of NOAA’s IEA approach as an effective process to implement Ecosystem-Based Management of marine resources
- Draft strategic IEA planning documents
- Support development of scientific publications
- Prepare written content for a variety of outlets
- Update IEA web pages with the latest content and materials based on program needs
- Provide visual support to accompany IEA web content and digital materials
- Develop and/or support agency science communication products as determined by program leads and in conjunction with communication leads
- Utilize various strategies (digital analytics, surveys, interviews, rapid feedback) to assess the effectiveness of IEA communication efforts
- Develop user-friendly, web-based IEA data visualization tools and assessment models and tools, including appropriate documentation of methods, code and data used
- Draft, edit and finalize IEA documents using plain language that explains complex scientific or policy programs regarding natural resources for various audiences coordinated by communication leads
- Provide IEA web support that includes coordination of cleared communication material
- Provide digital communication coordination and support
- Provide analytics to improve user experience
- Ensure all communication materials are 508 compliant
- Host subject matter feedback sessions
- Provide meeting facilitation
- Must possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in communications, public relations, law, or journalism or a clearly related field. NOTE: A graduate degree in a related field may be used as a substitute for 2 years of the required experience.
- Must possess 3 years demonstrated experience directly related to strategic communication
- Possesses experience and knowledge in the area of marine science, marine or coastal ecosystem programs or related issues.
- Ability to work independently
- Must have skills in close reading and comprehension and must be able to complete assignments. independently, using sound judgment in applying broad guidelines to specific cases.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and sound skills in written and oral communication is a must.
- Experience using website content management systems (i.e. Drupal),, Google analytics, Microsoft Office suite, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Must be able to read and speak fluent English
- Must be able to pass a federal background check
Leading Solutions is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to ensuring a workplace free of discrimination based on race, color, religion, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, military or veteran status, and any other basis protected by applicable law.
Leading Solutions is a Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) and Woman-Owned Small Business (WOSB) headquartered in Kissimmee, Florida. The Company provides professional, technical, administrative, and healthcare services to Government and commercial clients. Leading Solutions customer- centric foundation ensures that our leadership and employees meet customer challenges and build trusting partnerships that lay the groundwork for success.